Basantapur Kangchenjunga trek is a very wild, rather unknown trek which explores remote valleys near the border of China and India (Sikkim) at the extreme east of Nepal. It leads you to the north and south base camp of Kangchenjunga. Basantapur Kanchenjunga Trek is an interest High Pass Trekking in Nepal.
During this trek, you are sure to visit very uncrowded areas and cross typical Tibetan villages which carry you a long time before at the begin of the previous century.
This trek is rather difficult because of some tracks not very used, the weather which can be a little bit rainy or snowy in high areas, the cold when you are in altitude, and also everywhere, you are rather isolated and remote, so in case of the rescue, it can be difficult ….
So in brief, trekking in Kangchenjunga area is not so easy as standard trek as Annapurna Tour, but you are sure to do something unusual and wild, far away from the crowded routes.
About this unusual trek, I chose to do the complete routes, the north, and the south ones, beginning at Basantapur and finishing at Tapeljung after having gone up to Pangpema, the north Kangchenjunga BC, and Oktang BC, at the foot of the huge south face of this giant. This (8,586m) peak is the second highest one in Nepal after the Everest (8,848m) and the third one in the world after the K2 (8,611m) (Pakistan).
Kangchenjunga in Nepali means “five snow treasures” with reference to the five summits more than (8,000m) (south, central, north, Yalung Khang, which compose this huge barrier on the Sikkim border.
- 1Day 1 : Arrival in Kathmandu (1,300m).
Arrival Kathmandu airport and transfer to hotel.
- 2Day 2 : Kathmandu .
Your Free day at Kathmandu Overnight at hotel include bed and Breakfast, we need your original passport including Nepali Visa to prepare for the Restricted Special Trekking permit, After preparing your permit Nepal Alsace trek will brief for the your Trekking details.
- 3Day 3 : Drive to Hile by bus (1,850m).
After Lunch drive by Night bus to Helle with our staff VIA Chitwan, Itahari, Damak, Dharan, Dhankuta and Hele, Basantapur about 19 hours.
- 4Day 4 : Arrive Basantapur (2,200m).
At 8 am you arrival at Basantapur and Rest day because You need rest after a long drive and uncomfortable to sleep on the bus and overnight at the lodge.
- 5Day 5 : Basantapur-Chauki (2,680m).
From Basantapur 5 hours walking to Chauki. If the weather is good to have views of Kanchenjunga and Makalu,overnight at the lodge.
- 6Day 6 : Chauki-Guphapokhari (2,900m).
From Chuki 5/6 hours walking to Guphapokhari and walking with wonderful views of Mountain Kanchenjunga.overnight at the lodge.
- 7Day 7 : Guphapokhari-Gurja Gaun (2,000m).
After the breakfast, trek to Gupha Pokhari 5 hours walking to Gurja Gaun and Overnight at the lodge.
- 8Day 8 : Gurja Gun- Dovan (780m).
From Gurja Gaun 5 hours walking to Dovan River site overnight at the lodge. Dovan is very low altitude place most of peolpe are Rai and Limbu.
- 9Day 9 : Dovan -Mittlung (9,21m).
From Gurja Gaun 6/7 hours walking to Mittlung in the Autumn, you should cross one river which is very strong before reaching Mittlung. overnight at the lodge.
- 10Day 10 : Mittlung-Chhiruwa (1,270m).
From Mitlung 6 hours walking to Chhiruwa It is a near the River, People living Rai, Tamang, and Limbu ethnic group living. Overnight at the lodge.
- 11Day 11 : Chiruwa-Shekhathum (1,660m).
From Chhiruwa 6 hours walking to Shekhathum, overnight at the lodge.from lodge you can see little part of (Janu Himal)
- 12Day 12 : Shekhathum-Amji Lapsa (1,251m).
From Shekhathum 5/6 hours walking to Amji Lapsa overnight at the lodge. Today the trail is not far, but most of uphill way to Amjilapsa.
- 13Day 13 : Amjilapsa-Kyabla La (2,730m).
From Amjilapsa 4/5 hours walking to Kyabla-La today also, not far way easy walk and nice place you can relax out of the lodge in day times, overnight at the local lodge.
- 14Day 14 : Kyapla- Ghunsa (3,595m).
From Kyapla only 5 hours walking to Ghunsa which is the best place of Trekkers. Between Kyabla & Ghunsa there is a place called Phale where Tibetan people live & they sale nice Carpets & prices are less than Kathmandu. Phale is one of the Centers of the Tibet Border and from Phale the trail goes Lumba Sumba pass to Makalu & Way to Kanchenjunga trekking towards Ghunsa. Overnight at the lodge.
- 15Day 15 : Rest day at Ghunsa.
This is a very important and beautiful place for a rest day. You may visit the village, monastery and etc. Your Kanchenjunga special trekking Permit also will be verified there. Overnight at the lodge.
- 16Day 16 : Ghunsa-Khambachen (4,099m).
From Ghunsa 5/6 hours walking to Khambachen, from the lodge, you get a view of the (Janu Himal Kumbhakarna (7,710m,) Phole Peak (6,645m) Sobithongie (6,670m) & Khabur Peak (6,332m) Overnight at the lodge.
- 17Day 17 : Khambachen-Lhonak (4,785m).
From Kambachen 4 and half hours walking to Lhonak that you can views of Kanchenjunga from right side Wedge Peak (6,750m) Ramtang Peak (6,700m) Table Shikha (6,510m) from the Left side views of the Nupchu Peak (6,044m) Tinjung Peak (6,097m) and Dango Peak (6,250m) Overnight at the lodge.
- 18Day 18 : Sightseeing to Pangpema.
Today we heading to the Pangpema is another beautiful place to visit it takes 6 hours to go & return. You have a wonderful view of Kanchenjunga Basecamp Glacier, and we return back to the Lhonak and overnight at the lodge.
- 19Day 19 : Lhonak-Ghunsa
From Lhonak 8/9 hours walking back to Ghunsa Overnight at the lodge.
- 20Day 20 : Ghunsa-Selele Base Camp (3,700m).
From Ghunsa 4 hours walking to Selele Base Camp overnight at the lodge.
- 21Day 21 : Selle Base Camp-Tseram (3,870m).
From Selele base camp 7/8 hours walking to Tseram.From Selle, if the weather is fine you can see world top Mt Everest after passing Selle(4,480m), we move down to the Tesram overnight at the local lodge.
- 22Day 22 : Tseram-Ramche (4,580m).
From Tseram 2 and half hours walking to Ramche (4,580m), and after Lunch visit to Oktang is a view of Yalung Kang and (8,505m) Kanchenjunga South (8,476m) and return back to Ramche Overnight at the Lodge.
- 23Day 23 : Ramche-Lasiya danda (3,310m).
From Ramche 7 hours walking to Lasiya danda. overnight at the local tea house.
- 24Day 24 : Lasiya danda-Yamphudin (2,080m).
From Lasiya danda 4 hours walking to Yamphudin (2,090m) and overnight at the local tea house.
- 25Day 25 : Yamphudin-Phumphe Danda (1,854m).
From Yamphudin 6 hours walking to Phumphe Danda and overnight at the local tea house.
- 26Day 26 : Phumphe-Sinchewa Bhanjyang (2,129m).
From Phumphe 4 hours walking to Sinchewa Bhanjyang.overnight at the local tea house.
- 27Day 27 : Sinchewa Bhanjyang-Lali Kharka (2,711m).
From Phumphe 4 hours walking to Lali Kharka overnight at the local tea house.
- 28Day 28 : Lalikharka-Taplejung (1,820m).
From Lali Kharka 4 hours walking to Taplejung overnight at the lodge.
- 29Day 29 : Taplejung to Kathmandu bus.From Taplejung by Night bus to Via Phidem,Ilam, Jhapa, Kathmandu.
- 30Day 30 : Arrival Kathmandu.
About 7/8 am you arrived at the Kathmandu and transfer to the hotel.
- 31Day 31 : Kathmandu
Your Free day at Kathmandu hotel include with bed and breakfast.
- 32Day 32 : Departure day
After breakfast drive to the international airport your departure.
- Arrival and Departure Transport Car/Van/ Hiace.
- Hotel in Kathmandu with bed and breakfast 4 Nights.
- Including Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner Such as: Italian,Chinese, Indian, Nepali many more continental food.
- Lodge accommodation during the trek.
- License holder trekking guide during the trek.,Required number of porters,food,accommodation, salary,insurance.
- Special Trekking permits and Kanchenjunga and park fee.
- Bus Transport from Kathmandu-Basantapur-Taplejung-Kathmandu.
- Lunch and Dinner in Kathmandu.
- Your Travel Insurance Policy encase is accident high Altitude Sickness Rescue operation.
- Nepal entry visa fee 15 Days 25 US$ and for the 30 Days 40 US$,you can obtain your visa in Kathmandu airport if you have not taken from your country.
- Soft and hard drinks Such as: Beer, Coke, Fanta and Mineral waters.
- Personal Trekking Equipment's.
- Tips for Nepali staff.
- Please bring with you 3 passport size Picture.
From Andre Souvignet Accompagnateur en Montagne et Instructeur au Club Alpin Français,...Read More